Monday, August 18, 2008

W is the W- Chapter 13

(pg. 165) "I had only been in the country a few months, and there I sat, in a suit, court side at a professional basketball game. Picture it!" (Eggers 165) What a huge change to go through. They were completely just plunged into our culture. I haven't even ever been to a pro basketball game, but I've watched the NBA finals on television, and I know even I'd be overwhelmed.


(pg. 166) "The music was the loudest I have heard in my life, and the spectacle of the stadium with its 120-foot ceiling, its thousands of seats, its glass and chrome and banners..." (Eggers 166) This makes it seem like we're spoiled. Well, not spoiled since no one is giving it to us, we just make it ourselves. I suppose this just shows how wealthy our country it, and we're not even the wealthiest!It's actually Luxembourg: a tiny European country that's only about 50 miles top to bottom and at its widest about 30 miles. No, I didn't just know that, I looked it up.

"... its cheerleaders and murderous sound system- seemed perfectly designed to drive people insane." (Eggers 166) Yet thousands of people pay money to come. I suppose we're just used to insanely loud music.

"And while this young man, whose name I will not mention, railed about this injustice, it was Mary's name that came up, again and again, as the source of the trouble." (Eggers 166) It's easy to blame people in charge because you know they always have some connection to the situation. Like the president, George W. Bush, is always blamed for everything that is going wrong with the country. I don't even know what is or isn't his fault anymore.

(pg. 171) "I was nervous about meeting Phil. I am not joking when I tell you that all believed, all of us Sudanese, that anything could happen, at any time. (Eggers 171) That is not surprising considering every shocking detail of their past life. Every murder or death they've seen, every sickness they had, every time they were attacked or starving. It makes perfect sense that they are alert for any danger.

(pg. 172) It's heartwarming when people like Phil are helping others. It sort of makes up for the injustice and pain we cause for others. Though some things can't be taken back or the impact can't be erased, it's just nice when we try.

"His adoptive mother left the family when he was four and his father reared him alone... When he was a teenager, he discovered he had been adopted..." (Eggers 172) Is it right to say people who have gone through more in their life are more likely to help others because they understand? Understand pain and hard times more?

"He sat down behind the wheel, put his hands in his lap and he cried. I watched his shoulders shake, watched him bring his hands to his face." (Eggers 173) That is so sweet. Exactly the reaction most people would have hearing Valentino's story. When a grown man cries, it's for good reason.

(pg. 175) "Then Achor Achor told him the story of the tampon box... They had fifty dollars to spend, and had no idea where to start. Along the way, they had picked out a very special box and put it in their cart... Their sponsor, a woman in her fifties, smiled and tried to explain what was in the box, which was in fact tampons... 'It is beautiful,' they said, and they bought it, took it home, and displayed it on their coffee table for months." (Eggers 175) That is hilarious. I had to just put this story in here.

(pg. 184-185) "... a year after brokering the peace agreement between the Sudan People's Liberation Movement (now the political arm of the SPLA) and the government of Sudan..." (Eggers 184) There is peace in Sudan right now? Really?

"Bobby died in the winter of 2005... The heart attack was massive and he did not stand a chance." (Eggers 185) It seems like every good character, every person close to Achak either dies or moves away. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the book Achor Achor dies.

No comments: