Monday, August 18, 2008

W is the W- Chapter 15 & 16

I really like his storytelling. Everything connects, if not eventually, and it keeps me interested.
(pg. 236-238) Why is it that the police force don't care at all about Valentino, his stolen possessions, or his wounds? Perhaps compared to other things they have to deal with in Atlanta, they won't even bother with this minor occurrence. They should bother though! "She hands me a piece of paper the size of a business card. It says COMPLAINT CARD. Achor Achor takes it. 'Does this mean that what happened to him is a complaint?' Achor Achor asks. 'Yes,' she says, almost smiling." (Eggers 239) Justice? Is there any justice in the world?



(pg. 242) Valentino finally goes to the emergency room to get his head wound fixed up, yet I know there is going to be trouble. We are only half way through the book, and there is a lot of text left. He is not getting in and out fast. "Julian has not moved from the desk since we arrived... He preempts me. 'It shouldn't be too long,' he says, looking down at his clipboard." (Eggers 242) Yes, you say that Julian. I bet you say that to everyone and they end up waiting hours upon hours. When I went to the ER once for two ear infections, (and I'm not a wimp. Ear infections hurt like no other and it feels like screws being drilled into your brain,) and I ended up waiting 6 hours. One of the most physically painful experiences of my life. I got home around 3:30 am after I went to the pharmacy.

(pg. 245) Since when did finding a wife become like finding a right piece of furniture? The Sudanese way is completely different from American. "He decided, last year, that he wanted a wife... Gabriel preferred a woman from his own region, the Upper Nile... Even ten years ago, it would seem impossible that a woman would insist on seeing a picture of a prospective groom. The women are inspecting the men!" (Eggers 245) Oh, if they only lived in the States. Girls inspecting men is completely and utterly necessary, and not just appearances but girls want to know how the men act and would treat them.

(pg. 248) Tabitha was going out with a fellow named Duluma who has abusing her. He seems like a very clingy person to me, and things are going sour. She is actually consoling her thoughts and worries with Valentino, who could just save her from their bad relationship. "He was abusive, she said. He wanted to treat her in the Sudanese way, she said." (Eggers 248) I'm glad Achak's dad never abused his mom, at least not that we know of. Tabitha and Duluma remind me of Jenny and her hippie boyfriend from Forrest Gump. He hit her one night and Forrest comes barging in and pops the guy in the face. I think that is what Valentino should do. Then again Jenny dies at the end of the movie, and I have a feeling I am making my own foreshadowing statement.

(pg. 249) "I loved he more with every false and conniving word Duluma said about her. I hung up and went back to Tabitha, to our lazy and luxurious morning together, and I never told her who had called." (Eggers 249) This could very easily become a romance story. It has a great beginning for it. Then again, since it is a memoir it is part romance, just like all memoirs would be. Because everybody always has some sort of love in their life, whether they stay with them forever or lose them.



No comments: